The Fisk Pipe Organ
Located above the congregation and in the rear of the church, this massive and elegant pipe organ fills the air with beautiful music every week. Built in 1971 by Charles Fisk of Gloucester, Massachusettes, this organ includes mechanical key and stop (tracker) action, and 2,582 pipes.
The Fisk organ is the third to be placed in the church. In 1855 a Hutchinson organ was installed – it required not only an organist to play it, but also someone to pump it. This was the instrument played on by Charles Ives, the American composer, when he was organist of Center Church during his undergraduate years at Yale.
It was supplanted in 1913 by an Austin organ, the gift of the Farnam family. The current Fisk uses some of the pipes from the previous Austin organ.