A Shared History
Our church was organized on August 23, 1639, by the same Puritans who founded the New Haven Colony as a theocratic “New Jerusalem.” These first English settlers arrived in April of 1638, led by the Reverend John Davenport and Theophilus Eaton, who was elected as the colony’s first governor.
The present Meeting House, built 1812-1814, is the fourth meeting house of the congregation. The edifice was built over the colony’s ancient burial grounds on the Green, and thus the basement with numerous burial stones is referred to as the Crypt.
For almost two hundred years, until a new state constitution was passed in 1818, Congregationalism was the established religion in Connecticut. The founding fathers’ dream was to establish a holy commonwealth with the right to self-govern with local autonomy of the church.